This is a powerful book; it is my new favorite book on marriage and the best of all the books I read in 2011. The Meaning of Marriage elevates marriage, making it something beautiful and holy and lovely. And with it comes friendship and companionship and sex and everything else God has packaged into the marriage relationship. This book celebrates it all and it does it within the greatest context of all—the gospel of Jesus Christ.
Having read the book through two times, I’ve found myself wondering how to best measure or evaluate it, but perhaps these criteria are useful: Would I want to read it with my wife or would I encourage her to read it on her own? Would I recommend it to the people in my church? In both cases the answer is an unreserved yes. In fact, I bought the audio book and listened to it with my wife and her assessment is the same as mine: Though there are many great books on marriage, this is the one we will recommend first.
redeemer city to city
From Tim Keller's new article, "Preaching in a Secular Culture," on some practices for preaching to secular people...
- Solve all problems with the gospel
- Beware of assumptions
- Engage in apologetics
- Provide applications for both parties
- Be authentic
- Be conscious of alienating language
- Expect, and respect, doubt
- Address the wider community
- Draw on cultural references
- Read across the spectrum
For more on these 10 practices and a lot more on preaching in a secular culture, go read the whole article.
Tim Keller has been writing about Gospel polemics. His first post he gave some introductory thoughts. Last post Dr. Keller listed 3 rules for Gospel polemics. This post he gives three more. Here are all six...
- Carson’s Rule—You don’t have to follow Matthew 18 before publishing polemics.
- Murray’s Rule—You must take full responsibility for even unwitting misrepresentation of someone’s views.
- Alexander’s Rule—Never attribute an opinion to your opponent that he himself does not own.
- Gillespie’s Rule A – Take your opponents’ views in total, not selectively.
- Gillespie’s Rule B – Represent and engage your opponents’ position in its very strongest form, not in a weak ‘straw man’ form.
- Calvin’s Rule – Seek to persuade, not antagonize, but watch your motives!
Tim Keller discusses 3 rules for Gospel Polemics in his new post that "will help us neither avoid polemics nor engage in them in a spiritually destructive way." Here are the rules, but go read his explanations.
1. Carson’s Rule – You don’t have to follow Matthew 18 before publishing polemics
2. Murray’s Rule – You must take full responsibility for even unwitting misrepresentation of someone’s views
3. Alexander’s Rule – Never attribute an opinion to your opponent that he himself does not own
Dr. Timothy Keller is Pastor of Redeemer Presbyterian Church in NYC. This is a list of every Keller sermon, article, book, audiobook, DVD, Bible Study, and any other resource I can find. If you don't find something here you can also look into items tagged "Tim Keller" on the Reformissionary site in case I put up an individual post about a resource and failed to list it here. Feel free to link this post to help get these resources out. Find a dead link? Email me so I can keep this resource page up to date.
- Redeemer Presbyterian Church
- Redeemer City to City
- Tim Keller's Blog
- 150 FREE Sermons & Lectures
- Redeemer's REN3W Campaign
- Redeemers Recommended Resources
LOGOS - Tim Keller Sermon Archive (over 1,200 sermons!)
- Walking With God Through Pain And Suffering (2013 - Amaz | Kndl)
- Encounters With Jesus
- Every Good Endeavor: Connecting Your Work to God's Work
- Center Church: Doing Balanced, Gospel-Centered Ministry In Your City (website)
- The Meaning of Marriage: Facing the Complexities of Commitment With The Wisdom of God
- King's Cross: The Story of the World in the Life of Jesus
- Gospel In Life: Grace Changes Everything study (also DVD)
- The Freedom of Self-Forgetfulness
- Gospel-Centered Ministry [Gospel Coalition Booklets]
- Generous Justice: How God's Grace Makes Us Just
- Counterfeit Gods: The Empty Promises of Money, Sex, and Power, and the Only Hope that Matters (also audiobook)
- The Prodigal God: Recovering the Heart of the Christian Faith (also audiobook | DVD)
- The Reason for God: Belief in an Age of Skepticism (also audiobook, DVD & Study Guide) - A profound work for skeptics and their believing friends.
- Redeemer Church Planting Manual (or at CTC) - This is an excellent practical-without-being-too-businessy church planters guide. Well thought through. There are many helpful sections and resources in the book for pastors (not just planters) as well. I often recommend this as a key resource for any church leader.
- Ministries of Mercy: The Call of the Jericho Road - I bought this book years ago after one of my children was diagnosed with autism. I knew nothing about Keller at the time. It's a good resource for churches, church leaders, deacons, and thoughtful Christians.
BOOKS with Tim Keller contributions...
- Worship by the Book (with Don Carson, Kent Hughes and Mark Ashton)
Audio Resources from Dr. Keller...
More resources on Dr. Keller's books...
- Counterfeit Gods Resources | My Review | Website | The Grand Demythologizer Video, Audio (The Gospel Coalition)
- The Prodigal God Resources | website | sermon | Yes, I Wrote (Another) Book
- The Reason for God Resources | website | reader guide | Yes, I wrote a book | Interview
- Newsweek article: "The Smart Shepherd"
- Christianity Today interview: Tim Keller Reasons With America: The New York Pastor explains why he's taking his ministry model on the road
- Ed Stetzer interviews Tim Keller about The Reason for God and more
- Books & Culture review
- The Reason for GodSermons:The Trouble with Christianity...
- Exclusivity: How an there be just one true religion?
- Suffering: If God is good, why is there so much evil in the world?
- Absolutism: Don't we all have to find truth for ourselves
- Injustice: Hasn't Christianity been an instrument for oppression?
- Hell: Isn't the God of Christianity an angry Judge?
- Doubt: What should I do with my doubts?
- Literalism: Isn't the Bible historically unreliable and regressive?
- The Reason for GodVideos: Keller discusses The Reason for God - At Google - At Berkeley - Roundtable with WTS Faculty - Keller @ UChicago: Part 1, Part 2 - Keller at UPenn: The Reason for God - Keller at UPenn: Q&A
Redeemer Presbyterian Church store has sermons, studies & other resources available for purchase.
- The Advent of Humility
- All of Life is Repentance
- Are You Saying That All Christians Should Make Cities A Priority? (2010)
- An Art-full Church
- Authority (2010)
- Backlash and Civility (2011)
- The Bible On Church & Culture
- Biblical Mandate for Mercy Ministries
- Biblical Theology of the City
- The Big Issues Facing the Western Church (2010)
- The Case for Commissioning (Not Ordaining) Deaconesses
- The Centrality of the Gospel (CTC)
- Changing the World Through the Lord's Supper
- Christ and the City
- Coming Together on Culture Part 1: Theological (2011) - Responses to Coming Together on Culture
- Coming Together on Culture Part 2: Practical (2012)
- Contentment (2010)
- Counterfeit Gods - The Personal Story (2009)
- The Country Parson (2009)
- Covenant Renewal and Redeemer’s “DNA” (2009)
- Creation, Evolution, and Christian Laypeople
- Creation, Fall, Redemption - And Your Money
- The Cultures of the Presbyterian Church in America
- Deconstructing Defeater Beliefs: Leading the Secular to Christ
- The Difficulty of Community (2008)
- Discerning & Exercising Spiritual Gifts
- Evangelism through 'Networking'
- Evangelistic Worship
- Evolution & Science
- Faithfulness & Meekness (2010)
- Financial Scarcity + Gospel Joy = Riches (2008)
- Five Ministry Fronts In The City
- Four Models of Counseling in Pastoral Ministry
- Four Wrong Answers to the Question "Why Me?"
- From “Come and See” To “Go and Share” (2010)
- The Future of American Cities: Part 1 | Part 2 (2010)
- The Girl Nobody Wanted: Sermon Transcript (Gen 29:15-35)
- Gnostics and Jesus
- The Gospel and Humor
- The Gospel and Our Prejudice
- The Gospel and Sex
- The Gospel and the Poor
- Gospel-Centred Ministry
- The Gospel in All its Forms (Resurgence | CTC)
- Gospel Polemics Part 1 | Part 2 | Part 3 | Part 4
- The Grace of The Law (2009)
- The Honors of the King (2011)
- How Can I Know God? (landscape, handout format pdf)
- How Do you Take Criticism of Your Views? (2009)
- How the Gospel Changes Our Apologetics Part 1 (2012)
- How the Gospel Changes Our Apologetics Part 2 (2012)
- How Then Shall We Live Together - Subscription and the Future of the PCA
- How to Pray Better in Public and in Private, Too (2010)
- The Importance of Hell (2008)
- Justice & Generosity (2010)
- Kingdom-Centered Prayer (on Redeemer site, Keller?)
- The Kingly Willow Creek Conference (2009)
- Late Modern or Post-Modern? (2010)
- Lay Leadership & Redeemer's Future
- Love & Love Language
- Leadership and Church Size Dynamics
- Lloyd-Jones & Preaching
- Lloyd-Jones on the Problem of Preaching (2011)
- Lloyd-Jones on the Permanence of Preaching (2011)
- Lloyd-Jones on the Primacy of Preaching (2011)
- Lloyd-Jones on the Efficacy of Preaching Today (2011)
- Lloyd-Jones on the Practice of Real Preaching (2011)
- Lloyd-Jones on Preaching & The Gospel Part 1 (2011)
- Lloyd-Jones on Preaching & The Gospel Part 2 (2011)
- Lloyd-Jones on Preaching & The Gospel Part 3 (2011)
- Long-Distance Spirituality (2010)
- The Lord of the Rings & Redemptive Art
- Ministry Can Be Dangerous to Your Spiritual Health
- Ministry in the Middle Space (2012)
- Ministry Movements (2010)
- The Missional Church
- Monergism Interview with Dr. Tim Keller (2008)
- The Multi-Site Model--Thoughts (2010)
- The New Global Christianity in the Post-Christian West
- The Obtrusive Self (2009)
- On NYC Schools' Decision to Ban Churches (2012)
- Only Believers or Disciples? (2011)
- OT Law & the Charge of Inconsistency (2012)
- Our New Global Culture: Ministry in Urban Centers (CTC)
- A New Kind of Urban Christian (CTC)
- Pastor's Self-Evaluation Questionnaire (w David Powlison)
- Pharisees With Low Standards (2009)
- Planting a Church in the City
- Politics & Culture (2010)
- Post-Everythings (print version | CTC | Scribd)
- Prayer and the Gospel (2007)
- A Prayer Life That Nourishes Your Relationship to God
- Preacher-Onlys Aren't Good Preachers (2009)
- Preaching Amid Pluralism
- Preaching Hell in a Tolerant Age: Brimstone for the Broad-minded
- Preaching in a Post-Modern City
- Preaching in a Secular Culture
- Preaching Morality in an Amoral Age (CTC)
- Process Managing Church Growth
- Proverbs: A Mini-Guide to Life (2010)
- Proverbs, Community, and Culture (2010)
- Religion and the Gospel (adapted from Keller's content)
- Religion-less Spirituality
- Religious & Philosophical Pluralism (w Charles Garland)
- The RENEW Campaign and Redeemer’s Future (2009)
- The Resurrection and Christian Mission (2009)
- Revival (Even) On Broadway (2010)
- Revival: Ways & Means (2011)
- Ross Douthat on the Character of Christianity's Decline Part 1 (2012)
- Ross Douthat on the Character of Christianity's Decline Part 2 (2012)
- Ross Douthat (& others) on Why Christianity Has Declined in the US (2012)
- SBTS Towers: 3 Questions with Tim Keller
- Scoffers, Scorners, and Snark (2009)
- Scraps of Thoughts on Daily Prayer (2010)
- Sending Everybody (2009)
- Serving Each Other Through Forgiveness and Reconciliation
- The Shack: Impressions (2010)
- Should You Pass On Bad Reports? (w/ David Powlison)
- Speaking With Contempt (2011)
- The Steward Leader: A Biblical Model for Leadership
- Talking About Idolatry in a Postmodern Age
- Talking To The World (2010)
- Ten Questions for Expositors (2007 interview)
- Thank You, Thank You. Now Let's Repent (2009)
- There's No Escaping Doctrine, But Handle It With Care (2010)
- Three Ways With Families (2010)
- Two Kinds of Popularity (2009)
- Understanding Sin
- Unique Challenges Facing Urban Church Planters (by J. Allen Thompson)
- Urban Plant Life PDFs (2010)
- What Does It Take To Start A Movement?: Case Study Ephesus (by J. Allen Thompson)
- What Is Common Grace?
- What's So Great About the PCA? (2010)
- Why Live In The Big City?
- Why Plant Churches?
- Work & Cultural Renewal (2010)
- Worship Worthy of the Name (CTC)
- Yes, I Wrote (Another) Book (2008)
- Y(our) Place
Keller on Sept. 11, 2001
- Anniversary, Global Cities Initiative - 9/11/2009 - NEW!
- Sermon of Remembrance and Peace for 9-11 Victim's Families - (Transcript) Preached 9/10/2006
- "America's Darkest Hour" - post 9/11 interview with Keller
- The Hiddenness of God (Transcript)
- Questions on Everyone's Mind (September 14, 2001)
KEY FREE Sermons
- The Gospel | Who is this Jesus? | Lord of the Wine | Born of the Gospel
- Changed People | Changed Lives | Inside-Out Living |. How to Change
- City | Should I Not Love That Great City? | The Meaning of the City | Love for the City
- Community | The Community of Jesus | Spiritual Friendship | Eating with Jesus
- Movement (Church Planting) | Why to Plant Churches | Messengers | The Cost of Mission
- Serving | Neighbors | Blessed Are The Poor | Blueprint for Revival - Social Concern
- Renewing | Work | Made for Stewardship | Work and Rest
- Stewardship | Radical Generosity | Treasure vs. Money | Grace & Money | 2 Men With Money | Stewardship Devotional (pdf)
The Gospel Coalition 2011 - NEW!
NYC Dwell Conference
- Hope for the World - Sept. 27
- Hope for the Poor - Oct. 4
- Hope for Your Life - Oct. 11
- Hope for the Family - Oct. 18
- Hope for Your Work - Oct. 25
- Hope for the Church - Nov. 1
- Hope and Money - Nov. 8
- Hope for the City - Nov. 15
Global Cities Initiative (2009)
Urban Plant Life Conference in London
- The Grand Demythologizer Video, Audio
- "Gospel-Centered Ministry" (also video) - Gospel Coalition Conference (2009)
Reform & Resurge (2006)
- Preaching the Gospel (also audio)
- Being the Church in Our Culture (also audio)
- Doing Justice (also audio)
Covenant Seminary | Conferences 2004
- Preaching to Believers & Unbelievers
- All Things Are Yours
- Breakout: Wisdom or Compromise Part 1, Part 2
- Various Audio, Discussions, Interviews at Covenant
The Gathering 2005
Evangelists Conference UK
City Life Church: Boston
DESIRING GOD CONFERENCE
REDEEMER CENTER for FAITH & WORK (Website)
- Principles for Action - interview
Entrepreneurship Forum: March 2007
REDEEMER VISION CAMPAIGN (Website)
Audio, Study Guides
- "A Season of Covenant Renewal"
- (original links page & introduction to this 12 part series)The Prodigal Sons - Luke 15:1-2, 11-32
- Christ Our Life - Col 3:1-14
- The Gospel - Isaiah 53:4-11, 54:1-5, 11-14
- The City: We Have a Strong City - Isaiah 25:6-26:6
- Community: Better than Sons and Daughters - Isaiah 56:1-8
- Witness: While He May Be Found - Isaiah 55:1-7, 57:14-21
- Justice: Break Every Yoke - Isaiah 58:1-14
- Culture: The Riches of the Nations Will Come - Isaiah 60:4-14, 19-22
- The Gospel and Your Wealth - Malachi 3:8-10, 4:1-2
- The Gospel and Yourself - Isaiah 6:1-13
- The Gospel and the World - 1 Peter 2:4-17
- The Gospel and Experience - John 2:1-10
Vision Campaign Papers:
- Desiring God Interview (2011)
- It Takes A Movement to Change A City (2010)
- Creation & Creativity
- A Woman, a Slave and a Gentile
- The Bible as a Single Story (American Bible Society | 2007)
- Being The Church In Our Culture (2005, Reform & Resurge)
- Interview with Keller, Divine Impulses - The Washington Post/Newsweek.com
- Exponential Conference podcast interview
- Lifeway interview
- It Takes a City to Raise a Child
- Preaching Christ in a Postmodern World - RTS class (iTunes)
- Keller's Redeemer Q and A
ABOUT TIMOTHY KELLER & REDEEMER
- Manhattan Ministry a Year Later - CT 10.29.2002
- New York's New Hope - CT Nov 2004
- Fresh Plants in the City - LJ Winter 2005
- Preaching the Word and Quoting the Voice - NYT 2.26.2006
- The Smart Shepherd: A New York pastor who says he thinks too much and wants to bring his Christian message to the world - Newsweek, 2.18.2008 - (Keller comments on the article)
- Tim Keller Reasons With America - CT Interview 6.20.08
- How Tim Keller Found Manhattan - CT 6.8.09 by Tim Stafford
- Tim Keller Wants to Save Your Yuppie Soul - NY Mag 11.29.09
OTHER RESOURCE PAGES