Tim Keller has been writing about Gospel polemics. His first post he gave some introductory thoughts. Last post Dr. Keller listed 3 rules for Gospel polemics. This post he gives three more. Here are all six...
- Carson’s Rule—You don’t have to follow Matthew 18 before publishing polemics.
- Murray’s Rule—You must take full responsibility for even unwitting misrepresentation of someone’s views.
- Alexander’s Rule—Never attribute an opinion to your opponent that he himself does not own.
- Gillespie’s Rule A – Take your opponents’ views in total, not selectively.
- Gillespie’s Rule B – Represent and engage your opponents’ position in its very strongest form, not in a weak ‘straw man’ form.
- Calvin’s Rule – Seek to persuade, not antagonize, but watch your motives!