Molly and I have been married now for 21 years. She is a joy to my heart and the harder life gets and the more she has to endure, the more amazing she is to me. Somebody pinch me. I think I'm dreaming. Read my essay from last year: The Wedding Vows 20 Years Later.
- Glorious Ruin by Tullian Tchividjian (FREE)
- One Way Love by Tullian Tchividjian ($3.74)
- The Storytelling God by Jared Wilson ($0.99)
- Because He Loves Me by Elyse Fitzpatrick ($1.99)
- Gospel Wakefulness by Jared Wilson ($1.99)
- John A. Broadus: A Living Legacy by David Dockery & Roger Duke ($0.99)
- Faithful Women and Their Extraordinary God by Noel Piper ($1.99)
- The Cross and Christian Ministry by D.A. Carson ($1.99)
- To Live is Christ To Die Is Gain by Matt Chandler ($2.99)
- The Gospel and Personal Evangelism by Mark Dever ($3.49)
- Exiles by Michael Frost ($3.03)
- The Road to Missional by Michael Frost ($2.99)
So this is one of the coolest songs I've heard this year. It's from a new album from The Juan MacLean coming out this fall. Crank it up!
Tim Keller on Romans 8:28-30 -- three reasons Christians have relentless joy...
- Verse 28: Our bad things turn out for good
- Verse 29: Our good things can never be lost
- Verse 30: The best things are yet to come
President of King's College and friend, Greg Thornbury, was in a discussion on music and culture for Christ and Pop Culture podcast. Listen here. I just listened and it's excellent, thought-provoking.
Members of CaPC ($5 a month) get far more free things than the cost of membership, including right now Greg's recent book in ebook form, Recovering Classical Evangelicalism (Kindle), Joy For the World ebook, new Gray Havens' song, other books, other music, a comic book, and more. Wowzers. Join up.
This might be the worst thing ever. How do my ears still function after that, Yoko?
Some massive discounts on important theological books...
- Evangelical Theology by Michael Bird ($5.99)
- The Christian Faith & Pilgrim Theology by Michael Horton ($7.69 & $5.99)
- Historical Theology by Gregg Allison ($5.99)
- Plant by Darrin Patrick, Mark DeVine, Ed Stetzer ($4.39)
- Entrusted With The Gospel by Andreas Kostenberger ($2.99)
- The End of the Law by Jason Meyer ($2.99)
- Theologians of the Baptist Tradition by Timothy George & David Dockery ($2.99)
- God's Indwelling Presence by Jim Hamilton ($2.99)
- Believer's Baptism by Tom Schreiner & Shawn Wright ($2.99)
One of those untouchable bands for me because of my connection with their first couple of albums during college has just been touched, with a flying leg kick, to the face. This is no gouda.
My current sermon series is about being an eternity junkie and seeking hard after forever, with eternity set in our hearts. We can't be satisfied in anything else. I'm preaching it because we need it, and because I need it. I need to grasp for and long after eternity.
- Living with unrealistic expectations
- Focusing too much on self
- Asking too much of people
- Being controlling or fearful
- Questioning the goodness of God
- Living more disappointed than thankful
- Lacking motivation and hope
- Living as if life doesn't have consequences
What do you think of the apology from Paige Patterson concerning admitting a Muslim student to Southwestern Baptist Theological Seminary? See his full convention message and his apology starting at 6 min and 30 sec. Seems to me it's both an apology and a defense, and I'm not sure how it can be both.
"Dear God, I violated a policy, but I didn't want to stand before you with blood on my hands."
Here are a few new albums, out today, that are worth checking out. Click on the album to sample it. If you don't know Anathema, it's a bit of post-rock pop. First Aid Kit is folk-rock. If you have other suggestions on this New Music Tuesday, drop them in the comments.
Man, I love stuff like this. Chris Davis of the Orioles hits a home run and gets greeted by no one in the dugout. So he high fives a bunch of invisible teammates. Awesome.
Here's a smattering of new and notable books that are on my radar and on my shelf.
- Preparing Your Teens for College (WTS | Kindle) by Alex Chediak - $2.99 for Kindle right now! Get it quick. I did as I have three teenagers.
- Proof (WTS | Kindle) by Daniel Montgomery - So excited about this one I bought 2 and already gave one away.
- Taking God At His Word (WTS | Kindle) by Kevin DeYoung - Getting lots of love.
- Grace In Addiction (Kindle - only $4.99!) by John Z. - From Mockingbird books. Saw this from their list of Mockingbird conference booktable books. Using it for a series of sermons I'm preaching called Eternity Junkie.
- To the Ends of the Earth (WTS | Kindle) by Michael Haykin and C. Jeffrey Robinson Sr. - On Calvin and "missional"? I'll bite.
- The Unfinished Church (WTS | Kindle) by Bob Bentz - "Honest yet hopeful"
- The Gospel (WTS | Kindle) by Ray Ortlund - Everyone needs to read and listen to Ray.
- Seeing Beauty and Saying Beautifully (WTS | Kindle) by John Piper - He talks about Whitefield, so I will read.
- How Not To Be Secular (Kindle) by James K.A. Smith - Christ and Pop Culture discussion board conversation about this book made it a must-buy for me.
- Jesus or Nothing (WTS | Kindle) by Dan DeWitt - New Crossway book seems like it will be helpful for skeptics and doing apologetics. Short and sweet.
- Eternity Changes Everything (Kindle) by Stephen Witmer - The Good Book Company sent me this book and I'm using it during my Eternity Junkie sermon series.
- Rediscovering Eden: The Gospel According to Ecclesiastes (WTS | Kindle) - This one is on order.
Anything else good come out that you want to recommend?
There isn't a chance that I would pass up the new Sharon Van Etten album, Are We There. Her previous albums, Tramp and Epic, are great. I don't even need to preview the new album in order to buy it, but I know some of you do. Just watch this video for "Afraid of Nothing" and I know you will do what's right and buy this album. Looks like Are We There is a few bucks cheaper this week as Amazon's "Album of the Week."
- Crazy Busy by Kevin DeYoung ($3.99)
- Our Triune God by Ryken and LeFebvre ($3.99)
- Stop Asking Jesus Into Your Heart by J.D. Greear ($0.99)
- The Church by Mark Dever ($0.99)
- Lectures on Calvinism by Abraham Kuyper ($0.99)
- Knots Untied by J.C. Ryle ($0.99)
- Old Paths by J.C. Ryle ($0.99)
- Advice to Sufferers by John Bunyan ($0.99)
- A Treatise on Earthly-Mindedness by Jeremiah Burroughs ($2.99)
- Date Your Wife by Justin Buzzard ($0.99)
- Weakness is the Way by J.I. Packer ($4.99)
- Creature of the Word by Matt Chandler ($3.99)
- Isaiah by Ray Ortlund Jr ($4.99)
- Matthew by Douglas Sean O'Donnell ($4.99)
- Acts by Kent Hughes ($4.99)
- 1-2 Timothy & Titus by Kent Hughes & Bryan Chappell ($4.99)
The creation story, a 3 minute and 33 second clip, from Darren Aronofsky's Noah. Seeing the first half of the movie leading to this clip is the preferred way to watch this, but for lack of that you still get this.
My two youngest boys and I have an unhealthy love for the new Lipton Peach Iced Tea commercial. Enjoy!
Lykke Li has made a breakup album full of power ballads. And it's nothing short of amazing. I've liked Lykke's music in the past, but never really became a big fan. That's all changed because of her new album, I Never Learn,* and the standout song for me, "Love Me Like I'm Not Made Of Stone." Here's the video, which is simple and remarkable. The lyrics are also posted below. If you go to this page you can listen to the song free and repeatedly while perusing the lyrics.
Listen to this song for what it is, and then also think about it in the context of how we love our neighbors.
*Let me give you a hint. You can buy the album on CD for $0.50 cheaper than the download and still get the automatic download as you wait for the CD to show up. If that sounds like too much trouble, just download. I think you will love it.
- Center Church by Tim Keller ($3.99)
- The Final Days of Jesus by Justin Taylor ($0.99)
- The Call To Joy & Pain by Ajith Fernando ($3.99)
- How Long O Lord? by D.A. Carson ($3.82)
- The Jesus Storybook Bible ($3.99)
- Surprised by Grace by Tullian Tchividjian ($0.99)
- Our Triune God by Phil Ryken ($3.99)
- Love or Die by Alexander Strauch ($3.99)
- From Heaven He Came and Sought Her ($3.99)
- For the City by Darrin Patrick & Matt Carter ($3.79)
- What's Your Worldview? by James Anderson ($0.99)
- The Insanity of God ($2.99) & The Insanity of Obedience ($4.99) by Nik Ripkin
- Gospel & Stop Asking Jesus Into Your Heart by J.D. Greear ($2.99)
- Finishing Our Course With Joy by J.I. Packer ($0.99)
- Young, Restless, Reformed by Collin Hansen ($3.49)
- Brothers, We Are Not Professionals by John Piper ($2.99)
- Subversive Kingdom by Ed Stetzer ($2.99)