Nothing like end of the year music lists. Love reading them and making new discoveries and hearing good arguments about what's great. I love the process of relistening to many albums and making a list of my own. I've done this since 2006...
Previous Years -- My Best Albums
2013 | 2012 | 2011 | 2010 | 2009 | 2008 | 2007 | 2006
I'm leaving minimal comments, but trying to give some hint at what I like. Bottom line for me is that it's really easy to click a link and listen to the samples to see if anything catches your ear. That's often how I discover great albums.
Please let me know in the comments your favorite albums of the year, your top 5, whatever you like!
Regrets (didn't give a proper listen): Perfume Genius | Run the Jewels 2 | Against Me! | Flying Lotus | Sun Kil Moon | Sturgill Simpson
Honorable Mentions (recommended): The Gloaming - The Gloaming | Wovenhand - Refractory Obdurate | Lykki Li - I Never Learn | The Black Keys - Turn Blue | Hozier - Hozier | The Raveonettes - Pe’ahi | Damien Jurado - Brothers & Sisters of the Eternal Son | Vancouver Sleep Clinic - Winter
20. Swans - To Be Kind | I just LOVE what they do. Deserves recognition.
19. Ty Segall - Manipulator | Rocking retro music. Catchy catchy.
18. Hiss Golden Messenger - Lateness of Dancers | One my favorite songwriters right now.
17. The New Pornographers - Brill Bruisers | A band that rarely makes a mistake. Masters of the catchy. The best pop music in the world that doesn't make the radio.
16. Phantogram - Voices | Listened to more than most albums on this list because it's just so much stinkin' fun! Dance, dance revolution!
15. Angel Olsen - Burn Your Fire For No Witness | Love the creativity behind the angst. An album worth meandering through again and again.
14. Alvvays - Alvvays | A hazy, dreamy daisy. A lot of fun. I put this on a lot. "Marry Me, Archie" is a favorite song this year.
13. Andrew Bird - Things Are Really Great Here, Sort Of... | Got so much play late in the year. Might be the most accessible Andrew Bird album out there.
12. Champs - Down Like Gold | Not easy to get, but worth it. Gorgeous harmonies. Thoughtful lyrics.
11. FKA twigs - LP1 | A little over-produced, but a remarkable, powerfully delicate sound. Broke so many of my expectations.
10. Sharon Van Etten - Are We There | Somber. Rarely fun. But so, so good. Beautifully written & emotionally performed. Sharon's body of work is outstanding, album after album.
9. Spoon - They Want My Soul | I've liked Spoon for some time, but I don't remember an album that called me back over and over. Some of the best indie rock being made.
8. Cloud Nothings - Here and Nowhere Else | A fantastic album that I had listed lower and it kept saying to me, "I'm better than that." Yes. Yes you are. Punky, rock, and throttled. Turn it up and go.
7. Jack White - Lazaretto | Crank UP the title track. I listened when I first picked it up, stopped for a while, and now I listen to it more than ever. Evidence of a great album is that it won't let you stay away. One of White's best albums.
6. Sia - 1000 Forms of Fear | The remarkable song, "Chandelier," deserved some attention so I gave it some at CaPC. This is way bigger than one song. A remarkable selection of some of the best pop songs of the year by what I think is one of our better minds in the pop music world. She gets the mix of thoughtful lyrics, big hooks, and soaring sounds. The levels of honest are remarkable.
TOP 5 ALBUMS OF 2014