- A Praying Life by Paul Miller ($1.99)
- Because He Loves Me by Elyse Fitzpatrick ($3.99)
- Jesus Driven Ministry by Ajith Fernando ($3.99)
- Gospel by J.D. Greear ($2.99)
- Broken Down House by Paul David Tripp ($1.99)
- Lost in the Middle by Paul David Tripp ($1.99)
- Shepherding a Child's Heart by Tedd Tripp ($1.99)
- Instructing a Child's Heart by Tedd & Margy Tripp ($1.99)
- The Enemy Within by Kris Lundgaard ($2.99)
- Basic Christianity by John Stott ($3.60)
- Adopted for Life by Russ Moore ($3.03)
- Christ Formed In You by Brian Hedges ($1.99)
- Practicing Affirmation by Sam Crabtree ($3.03)
- Puritan Evangelism by Joel Beeke ($2.99)
- Simple Church by Thom Rainer ($2.99)
- Vertical Church by James MacDonald ($3.74)
- Adventures in Churchland by Dan Kimball ($3.99)
- The Forgotten Ways Handbook by Alan Hirsch ($1.99)
- Modest by Tim Challies ($2.99)
Gospel wakened people feel swept off their feet by their romancing God. (If you're a man, and this sort of "church as feminine" language bothers you, you will have to get over it. This is how God draws our character. You will have to nail your machismo to the cross and stop thinking you're more of a man than your Groom.) When the power of the gospel saps the power of idols from our veins, when we have really tasted and seen that the Lord is good, we are so smitten we can't help but ditch every back door Johnny we ever messed around with. How pathetic they are! And how pathetic we were for ever giving in to their two-bit come-ons.
A bride joined to her groom forsakes all others. She writes the spiritual equivalent of Dear John letters to her idols. When God's love captivates you, you go around spurning all your other lovers. I call this "blaspheming" your idols.
Blaspheme them. Tell them they have no appeal to you anymore. Tell them you don't need their damage, their pain, their anti-glories. Tell them you have no desires to use and abuse them anymore. Tell them your heart, mind, soul, and strength belong wholly to God now. And then don't speak as a love to them ever again. Sinful relationships must end.
From Jared Wilson's Gospel Wakefulness, p 70, bold emphasis mine.
Tim Keller gave three talks at the 2011 Berlin Conference, two of which were followed by questions & answers. You have to register on the City to City Europe website to download, but it's worth it. His talks...
- The Gospel-Centered Church (also Q&A)
- The Urban Church (also Q&A)
- The Holistic Church
Go to City to City Europe to download them.