Three things I left out of my Desiring God Conference post in order to give them a little more attention in a separate post.
First, one of those guys who pulled Molly aside to ask how she was doing and let her know of his prayers was Sam Storms. Man, good guy. Sam has authored a handful of books (Signs of the Spirit: An Interpretation of Jonathan Edwards's Religious Affections, Convergence: Spiritual Journeys of a Charismatic Calvinist, Chosen for Life: The Case for Divine Election, One Thing: Developing a Passion for the Beauty of God, and more). His very helpful Enjoying God Ministries has a growing number of resources available for free.
Second, John Piper mentioned a list of questions he received that some dude asks his children. From Justin Taylor's blog: "Last night during the conversation with John Piper, John MacArthur, and me, Piper mentioned how helped he was by the kinds of questions that Rick Gamache (senior pastor of Sovereign Grace Fellowship) regularly asks his kids." Here are the questions. I think they are helpful.
- How are your devotions?
- What is God teaching you?
- In your own words, what is the gospel?
- Is there a specific sin you’re aware of that you need my help defeating?
- Are you more aware of my encouragement or my criticism?
- What’s daddy most passionate about?
- Do I act the same at church as I do when I’m at home?
- Are you aware of my love for you?
- Is there any way I’ve sinned against you that I’ve not repented of?
- Do you have any observations for me?
- How am I doing as a dad?
- How have Sunday’s sermons impacted you?
- Does my relationship with mom make you excited to be married?
- (On top of these things, with my older kids, I’m always inquiring about their relationship with their friends and making sure God and his gospel are the center of those relationship. And I look for every opportunity to praise their mother and increase their appreciation and love for her.)
Third, here's a list of the books I/we got at the Desiring God Conference bookstore which is always stocked full of some of the best books around on most any topic you would care about. As usual, some of the books were deeply discounted. I'll start with the free books we received with our registration.
Free Books and Registration Books
The Roots of Endurance by John Piper
ESV New Testament (can't find a link to the exact edition)
Why Pro-Life by Randy Alcorn
Sexual Temptation (a free download) by Randy Alcorn
Walking as He Walked by Joel Beeke
In Our Joy (Desiring God booklet on discipleship, can't find a link)
Assured by God edited by Burk Parsons
Foxe's Book of Martyrs
Quest for Joy (CD)
Molly's Books & Family Books
Faithful Women & Their Extraordinary God by Noel Piper
As for Me and My House by Walter Wangerin, Jr.
Jonathan and Sarah: An Uncommon Union by Edna Gerstner
Her Husband's Crown by Sara Leone
Lectures on Revivals by W.B. Sprague
A Call to Joy and Pain by Ajith Fernando
How People Change by Timothy Lane and Paul David Tripp
The One Year Book of Christian History by E. Michael and Sharon Rusten
Preparing Young People for Baptism by David Michael (Desiring God booklet)
Agape Leadership: Lessons in Spiritual Leadership from the Life of R.C. Chapman by Roberty Peterson and Alexander Strauch
Christianity Explored (book, leader's guide, student's guide) by Rico Tice, et
Leading With Love by Alexander Strauch
To Be Told by Dan Allender
Thoughts for Young Men by J.C. Ryle
Evangelism for the Rest of Us by Mike Bechtle
Jesus the Evangelist by Richard Phillips
Fighter Verses (ESV)
Foundation Verses (ESV)